Happy Friday! The weekend is almost upon us again, and assuming the weather is as nice as it has been, that means we’ll most likely be grilling up something before Monday rolls around. I figured that you might do the same, so here’s a quick and easy side to have with whatever you might grill up this weekend. We had it alongside the BLT Turkey Burgers I wrote about last week, but it would certainly go well with just about anything else, too.
I started by quickly cooking up about 3 cups of frozen corn kernels. When the beautiful, irresistible summer corn comes out, I’ll use fresh corn, but for now the frozen kernels work out just fine. I boiled the corn in salted water for just a few minutes, until they were crisp-tender, ran some cold water over them to cool them down, and drained them well.
Then, I halved up a pint of grape tomatoes, chopped up some fresh basil and diced up half of a red onion.
Don’t you just love all the color that warmer weather brings?
After all of the veggies were prepped, I tossed them together in a large bowl. Then, I added some olive oil, white wine vinegar, and some salt and pepper.
(See? So pretty!)
That’s it! The salad was done! I just let it chill in the fridge for an hour or so before we sat down to dinner.
How easy was that?
Have a great weekend!
Oh, P.S….I’m pretty sure this would also be really good as a dip with some tortilla scoops. Just a hunch!
SUMMER CORN, TOMATO AND BASIL SALAD
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the corn in boiling, salted water for about 3-5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain, rinse well with cold water to halt the cooking process, and drain thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, diced onion, and basil. Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Chill until you’re ready to serve.