It’s Friday! YAY!!!!!!
Boy, has this been a week!
After today, we only have one more week of school down here. As anyone with kids in school knows, the last couple of weeks are CRAZY! I’ve been so busy that my Moment of Zen this week was being able to sit down for a couple of hours while my car was being serviced at the dealership. Kind of pathetic, eh?
Thankfully, we were all able to settle in together for dinner last night. I was short on time, but tried out this new recipe because it promised dinner in a flash. It really was quick and easy, plus the fact that it tasted so good didn’t hurt either!
I started by whisking together a quick marinade for some top sirloin that I’d cut into chunks. I mixed together some soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili-garlic sauce, and brown sugar. Then, once that was mixed up, the meat went right into the bowl for a bit.
As the meat was marinating, I opened up a bag of broccoli slaw, dumped it into a bowl, and sliced up a few green onions to add to the slaw. In another bowl, I whisked together the dressing for my slaw, which brought in more rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, and garlic chili sauce, along with some fresh grated ginger too.
There was a lot of bowl action going on!
Aaron fired up the grill, and while he was setting up shop, I took the meat out of the marinade and threaded it onto a few metal skewers.
He threw the kebobs on the grill and I tossed my slaw with the dressing.
About ten minutes later, we were ready to eat! The meat didn’t hang out in that marinade long, but it was packed with flavor. Paired with that deliciously different broccoli slaw, it made for a perfect crazy almost-summer weeknight dinner!
***P.S. Today is the last day to enter the 100th Post Giveaway! If you haven’t entered yet, click here for details!***
QUICK ASIAN STEAK KEBABS WITH BROCCOLI SLAW
Adapted from Cuisine Tonight: Fresh and Fabulous
- For the steak marinade:
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Asian chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian section of your grocery store)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 top sirloin, trimmed and cut into 1½ inch cubes (1½ lbs.)
- For the slaw:
- 1 bag broccoli slaw mix (10 oz.)
- 3 green onions, sliced on the bias
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. chili-garlic sauce
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium-high and brush the grate with oil.
- Whisk together the steak marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cubed sirloin and toss to coat. Set aside while you make the slaw.
- For the slaw, combine the broccoli slaw and green onions. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Toss the vinegar mixture with the slaw and set aside.
- Remove the sirloin from the marinade and divide among 4 metal skewers. Grill the kebabs, covered, until charred, 2 minutes per side. Remove the kebabs from the grill to a plate and let them rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Serve over the broccoli slaw and sprinkle with sesame seeds.