I’ll admit it. I’m not ashamed. I first made this recipe because I thought the name was cute. I have no idea what a Delumpkin is, or a Delumpkin Pumpkin, but whatever it is…it totally works. This cake is amazingly moist and flavorful, plus it’s incredibly easy to throw together. If you’re looking for a holiday alternative to pumpkin pie or a spice cake, this fits the bill, and it’s a hit every time I’ve made it for a crowd!
To begin, melt some butter in large bowl in the microwave. Then, stir in a can of pumpkin, a 1/4 cup of cold, strong coffee, some vanilla, heaps of brown sugar, and a bit of white sugar too.
Don’t be thrown off by the coffee. You’d never know it was in the finished product. I think it just adds a depth to it. Much like when you add coffee to a chocolate cake. If you don’t like coffee, don’t worry. It doesn’t end up tasting like a pumpkin spice latte, although I’d be all over that too!
Once the first batch of ingredients are together, it’s time to stir in some of the dry. Into the mix went some baking powder, baking soda, salt, and a hefty dose of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
Once the spices are mixed in well, beat four eggs into the mixture with your spoon. No need for the heavy-duty mixer for this cake. Then, stir in your flour, just until it’s combined. Don’t overstir it.
Before it goes into the baking dish, stir in some butterscotch morsels. Just for fun.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and pop that puppy into the oven! Easy, right? One bowl and one spoon. Nothing to it.
After thirty minutes or so, you’ll be left with a beautiful fall spice cake. One that’s studded with sweet, butterscotch, and so moist, you’ll instantly fall in love. Plus, your house will be filled with that amazing warm, spicy, holiday aroma. Mmmm…good stuff!
I served the cake this time with whipped cream, but a cream cheese frosting spread on top would be an amazing addition as well. Serve it warm, or it even tastes wonderful the next day.
I don’t know who or what you are, Delumpkin, but I think I love you.
DELUMPKIN PUMPKIN CAKE
Adapted from Cooking.com
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- ¼ cup strong, cold coffee
- 1½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup butterscotch morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Once melted, mix in the can of pumpkin, cold coffee, vanilla, brown sugar, and white sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the eggs and beat in with your spoon until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix just until the flour is incorporated into the batter.
- Stir in the butterscotch morsels.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 30-37 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before frosting, or it can be served warm with whipped cream.
What were we Chew Nibble Noshing One Year Ago Today? Crazy Feta