This recipe leaves me with mixed emotions. I’m thrilled I found it, because it’s delicious, but I’m irritated with myself because I’ve had the cookbook that it’s in for years and years, and never tried it until now. Shame on me!
This brisket was a huge hit with my family. It was the perfect thing on a night when we were running around until after 7 o’clock, and the fact that it was delicious just added to its awesomeness. The brisket cooks up amazingly tender and moist, and the gravy…oh, the gravy! I’m not a gravy person, and this one has me singing its praises. Such simple ingredients, but so tasty.
I started by slicing up a large onion and laying the rings in the bottom of my slow cooker. Then, I sprinkled a three-pound beef brisket generously with pepper and placed it on top of the onions.
Once the brisket was all nestled in nicely, I put my sauce together. I whisked together some chili sauce, brown sugar, and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. Then, I carefully stirred in 3/4 cup of beer.
In the spirit of the season, I chose an Octoberfest beer. (It never hurts to be festive, right?)
Once it was mixed together, I poured the mixture over the brisket, put the lid on the slow cooker, turned it to LOW and walked away.
Eight hours later, I had a perfectly cooked brisket on my hands!
I whisked a slurry of flour and water into the sauce, right in the slow cooker, and let it cook on HIGH for about five minutes. It thickened up beautifully.
When it was ready, I sliced up the brisket, piled it next to some mashed potatoes and broccoli, and ladled on that gravy…oh, the gravy! It was delicious!! The onions were perfectly cooked down and sweet, and who knew beer and chili sauce would do such amazing things? I’m still in awe of it. So simple, and so right.
SLOW COOKER PEPPERED BEEF BRISKET IN BEER
Adapted from Southern Living: Our Best Easy Weeknight Favorites
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings and separated
- 1 (3-4 lb.) beef brisket, trimmed
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- ¾ cup beer
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- mashed potatoes for serving
- Place the onion rings in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the brisket with the pepper and place it on top of the onion.
- Carefully stir together the beer, chili sauce, brown sugar, and garlic. The beer will bubble up, so be careful!
- Pour the mixture over the top of the brisket. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-12 hours.
- Remove the brisket from the slow cooker, reserving the juices in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the water and flour and whisk it into the sauce.
- Cook, uncovered, on HIGH for 5 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.