Warmer weather means better produce! This quick and delicious side dish is the perfect thing to throw together after a visit to the farmer’s market on a warm spring day, or even just a visit to the local grocery store.
I started by prepping all of my veggies. I chopped up a bright, yellow pepper, and some crisp green onions. I thinly sliced up a bright green zucchini, and then peeled and chunked up a small eggplant. Finally, I halved a pint of grape tomatoes
I heated some olive oil over high heat, and then threw my bell peppers and green onions into the pan.
Once they started to brown up a bit, I added a little more oil and added my eggplant to the mix.
Once the eggplant softened a bit, in went the zucchini.
I cooked that down for about five minutes, and then added my tomatoes, some minced garlic and fresh thyme.
I continued to cook the mixture until the tomatoes were heated through and the zucchini were tender, which just took a couple more minutes.
Once the veggies were cooked, I tossed the mixture with some balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and it was ready to serve!
I had this alongside chicken breasts, but it would be the perfect side for pretty much anything, or you could toss it with some pasta for a heartier vegetarian option!
QUICK COOKING RATATOUILLE
Adapted from Fine Cooking
- ⅓ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 5 green onions, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks (I used about 2 cups total)
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, plus more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add the bell pepper and the green onions, and saute until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and the eggplant. Reduce the heat to medium-high and saute until the eggplant is just barely tender, about 4 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and continue to cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the tomatoes are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle the vegetables with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Toss well before serving.
- Serve warm.