If you’re looking for a recipe that uses fresh, summer ready ingredients, this is a good one for you. If you’re looking for a dinner that’s filling, and quite family friendly, this would work for you too. If you’re looking for something that looks like it might be a little bit decadent, but is really pretty low-cal and won’t cause too much of a problem as you’re trying to slim down for an upcoming beach trip, this dish is perfect.
Our family beach trip is coming up in a little over a month, and after stress eating my way through a move, I’m looking to ditch a few extra pounds. My family, however, doesn’t want to eat salad and rice cakes along with me, so I’m trying to find dishes that both please the masses, and don’t mess up my plan.
I love when I find a recipe like this. It’s cozy and filling enough to please my family, but summer-fresh and delicious at the same time. A serving tops out at just around 300 calories, so it didn’t break the dinner calorie bank.
Plus, it was really easy to throw together, which is always a plus.
I started by chopping up my fresh veggies.
The veggies got a few minutes on the stove top to soften up just a bit.
Then, the veggie mixture was tossed with some cooked pasta, a bit of part-skim mozzarella cheese, some fresh basil, and a dash of oregano.
Once that was nicely combined, I whisked together an egg and some part-skim ricotta cheese, and then stirred that into the pasta mixture. The ricotta and egg help bind the pasta, and give it just the right amount of creaminess.
I poured the mixture into a baking dish and then topped it off with a little more of that mozzarella before it went into the oven.
Fifteen minutes later, I pulled a beautifully satisfying, low cal, low-fat, fresh veggie filled dinner out of the oven. It was definitely much more satisfying than a rice cake and some salad.
Let the beach trip countdown begin!
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 4 oz. uncooked ziti
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped yellow squash
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400*F.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, squash, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pasta, ½ cup mozzarella, basil, oregano, ½ tsp. salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Combine the ricotta, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and the egg. Stir the egg mixture into the pasta mixture.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch square glass baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Top with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella.
- Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes.