Just trust me.
I know this seems a little weird, and I thought so too when I first saw the recipe, but it’s actually really, really tasty.
I was lucky enough to be handed this recipe years and years ago after devouring a generous scoop of it at a neighborhood pot luck. It’s perfect pot luck food, and a perfect summer dish to share with friends. It’s so cool, and crisp, but creamy and sweet, and just a little bit decadent. It’s one of those “salads” that isn’t really a “salad”, but instead just a whole lot of yummy that won’t help you win any weight loss competitions. You know what I’m talking about, right? Like that Strawberry Pretzel “Salad”? Salad, my foot.
I start by washing a boatload of grapes.
I’ve always used seedless red grapes in this recipe, but in a pinch, I’m sure you could use green grapes. I like red grapes because they have that tart/sweet bite to them.
Once the grapes are washed, I dry them quickly by patting them down with some paper towels. I don’t want a bunch of extra moisture going into my salad.
Then, I mix together a block of low-fat cream cheese (I’m trying…), some powdered sugar, and vanilla with my electric mixer. Once the cheese mixture is creamy, I stir in some sour cream. Then, I fold in a mixture of brown sugar and toasted chopped pecans.
Once that’s all mixed up into a sweet, creamy, crunchy dressing, I stir in my grapes.
The salad needs to chill overnight or at least 2-3 hours before serving. When I’m ready to head to the pot luck, I top it with a few more toasted pecans, and I’m ready to go.
That’s it! It’s a really easy, super delicious, just-a-little-bit-different dish to bring to your next pot luck or BBQ. The tart, crisp grapes counter the cool, creamy cheese mixture and toasty pecans perfectly. Whoever thought up this odd combo was a bit of a culinary genius! It’s a hit every time I’ve shared it, just like it was when my neighbor shared it with me way back when.
COOL AND CREAMY GRAPE SALAD
- 2 - 2½ lbs. red grapes, washed and dried off a bit
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz. sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- With an electric mixer, blend together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Fold in the sour cream.
- In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar and chopped, toasted pecans.
- Add this mixture to the cream cheese mixture.
- Carefully fold in the grapes.
- Let the salad chill 2-3 hours before serving, or overnight.
- Top with more toasted pecans before serving.