This is one of those recipes that I’d pinned to my Pinterest feed ages ago, and I finally got around to trying it. Now, I’m bugged that it took me so long! This easy, healthy, baked quinoa dish makes for an absolutely delicious side, or in heftier portions, a super satisfying meatless main dish. It’s chock full of fresh summer flavor, and takes just minutes to throw together.
I started by cooking some quinoa. One cup of dry quinoa yields about three cups of cooked grain. You need about two and a half cups of cooked quinoa for this dish. So, while that was cooking on the stovetop, I prepped my other ingredients.
I cut up some fresh, grape tomatoes and chopped up a hefty dose of baby spinach.
Once my quinoa was cooked, I added it to a bowl and stirred in the tomatoes, spinach, and a cup of marinated artichoke hearts.
I poured the feta sauce over the quinoa, and mixed that in as well.
I seasoned the mixture with a little onion powder, salt, and pepper, and then scooped it into a baking dish. I sprinkled the top with some reduced fat mozzarella cheese, and popped it into the oven to bake for fifteen minutes.
When it was done, I had this amazing, creamy, cheesy, fresh flavored dish on my hands. The kids loved it, and my husband and I did too. It’s so good! I usually have most of these ingredients on hand, too, so I’m thrilled to have an easy good-for-me dish in my back pocket for busy days.
CHEESY GREEK-STYLE BAKED QUINOA
Adapted from Cooking with Cakes
- 2½ cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry yields 3 cups cooked)
- 1¼ cup Fat Free Feta Cheese
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded Mozzarella
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, in oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped f resh basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Cook the quinoa according to directions on the package.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vegetables and feta sauce. Add the feta, milk, lemon juice, parsley, and basil to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Once the quinoa is done, place it in a large bowl. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach and artichokes hearts.
- Add the feta sauce, onion powder, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, at 400*F, for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.